HOLY TRINITY, PENPONDS
HOW TO FIND US
There is wheelchair and pushchair access via a ramp from the main porch. At present there is no designated wheelchair seating, except to the front of the church. At present there is no disabled toilet available. There is an amplification systems in the church to help those hard of hearing. Large print notices and books can be made available upon request.
THE HISTORY OF OUR CHURCH
As a small inscription on the wall, close to the pulpit of the Church, states, “The ecclesiastical district of Penponds was formed out of the parish of Camborne by an Order in Council at the Court at Windsor, December 19th 1846. This Church of the Holy Trinity was consecrated by Henry, Lord Bishop of Exeter, on the 15th day of May 1854.” So begins the history of Penponds Parish Church, one of the most beautiful Churches in Cornwall, and yet relatively young in years. The rather plain exterior betrays little of the richness that lies within for here is one of the finest early twentieth century Church interiors in this Country; as Sir John Betjeman has said, “a complete period piece of the high Church good taste”.
The first Vicar was William Wright Butlin (1814-1902), and he held office for 50 years from 1846-1896. He was followed by Canon James Sims Carah, Vicar from 1896 to 1935. He began the process of the enrichment of the building as we know it today. During the course of the next 40 years the Church, which consisted of nave, chancel, north aisle and vestry and which was very barely furnished with deal pews, was transformed with the introduction of carving, gilding, marble and many elegant fittings. All this under the inspiration of the Canon Carah, who was a great antiquarian and a leading figure in the Old Cornwall Movement. Some £3000 was spent between 1896 and 1935, a huge sum by the reckoning of those days. Some items were even brought over from the continent
One of the final schemes started by the Canon was the provision of a magnificent series of carved bench ends in the main body of the Church. These are an outstanding example which imitates the 15th century Cornish works. many are dedicated to the memory of notable people, including the famous Richard Trevithick, who lived in the village of Penponds.
The services in this lovely Church follow the high Church tradition and attract people from a wide area.